Trimble Hot Springs
The original Trimble Hot Springs resort. Catalog number: 91.44.8
- The geothermal warm-water springs were an important resource for the Native first residents of the valley. Later, pioneer settlers enjoyed the warm waters, and established a post office, allowing infrequent mail from family and friends back east.
- Frank Trimble built the first hotel at Trimble in 1882. It became a popular spot for entertainment. A newspaper ad in 1884 described Trimble as a health resort with a bar and billiard parlor. A depot at Trimble allowed visitors to come via rail.
- The original hotel burned down and was replaced with a three-story brick building in 1896. Renamed “Hermosa House” it offered a bathhouse, saloon, billiard hall and dance hall.
- In 1906 Judge Adair Wilson contacted Victoria Day, the wife of local newspaperman David Day, about renting Trimble. He assured her she could make money at the establishment. She looked it over and offered her son Guy half of the proceeds if he would help. They ran the hotel for 5 years.
- During the winter it was a popular pastime for Durangoans to ice skate up the frozen river to Trimble. After warming up with a cup of cocoa they would skate back to town.
- The Hermosa House burned to the ground in 1931. Some 70,000 bricks were salvaged from the ruins and were used to build the porches of a new hotel.
- The bathhouse burned in 1938 and the main building burned in 1957.
- The hotel was home to a movie crew from Hollywood while shooting 1950’s A Ticket to Tomahawk in the area. Among the guests was a new, unknown actress, Marilyn Monroe.
The Hermosa House at Trimble Hot Springs. Catalog number: 88.20.192
Now called the Durango Hot Springs Resort, plan your visit here.