Animas City School Building
The Animas Museum is located in the former Animas City School,
a three-story sandstone structure constructed in 1904-1905. The building
remains the largest and most architecturally significant building ever
constructed in Animas City. As the only public building of any size,
it was the town's educational, social and community center from 1904 to 1948
when Animas City was annexed into the City of Durango.
A fire on Halloween Night 1919 destroyed the roof and bell tower,
causing extensive damage to the building. Subsequent repairs were economical
and expedient. Contractors replaced the original roof with a flat roof
reinforced with A-frame trusses.
After 80-plus years, the roof's A-frame trusses developed structural problems. The roof
could no longer support a significant "live" load of snow. In order to preserve the building,
these deficiencies needed to be corrected. Thus, we embarked on the difficult process of
restoring the roof to its original condition. This project was completed in Spring 2007
and has expanded the amount of usable space in the building. The Historical Society's roof
reconstruction project received the Colorado Historical Society's 2008 Governor's Award, the
state's highest historic preservation honor!